Pop! (or Pop! Vinyl) is a vinyl toy line created by Funko in 2010. Its original name was to be Funko Force 2.0.
Pop! are highly stylised bobble heads from Funko based on the Japanese style known as Chibi. Pop! Vinyl's cover a range of licensed brands and popular culture such as video games, television, movies and more. Pop! Vinyls are becoming increasingly popular with retailers, so much that Funko has increased its financial incentives to retailers twofold.
Funko's line of Pop! figures are based on the Japanese style known as Chibi, which means short and cute. The heads of the Pop! Vinyl figures are the most recognisable part as they are substantially larger than the bodies in which they sit. They also feature large solid black eyes widely spaced on the face. Typically the nose, mouth and eyebrows are notably missing from a standard Pop! Vinyl.
- Main article: Pop! Categories
- Main article: Pop! Minis
- Main article: Pop! Exclusives
Exclusive limited release Pop! Vinyls are made available at trade shows such as Comic Con and on web shops such as Gemini Collectibles. Exclusives are generally variants of existing Pop! figures that offer an alternative look. Exclusives also feature a sticker on the outer plastic of the original box. Exclusives are commonly made in a limited release of 480 units; however, this number varies from figure to figure. The sticker may also provide details such as the limited number of units made as well as where the item was exclusive to and they type of exclusivity (e.g. glow in the dark).
Common Exclusive VariantsEdit
- Metallic - a shiny coating of paint on part of or all of the item.
- Flocked - a furry or fuzzy 'skin' on part of or all of the item.
- Glow in the Dark (GITD or GID) - when exposed to a light source, the item will glow in the dark for a short time. This may apply to part of or all of the item.
- Black and White (B&W) - the colour scheme is grayscale instead of colorful. This is usually all of the item; however; some have parts of color.
- Patina - a bronze, oxidised surface that covers all of the item.
- Outfits - different shirts or designs.
- Main article: Pop! Prototypes
Pop! Vinyl prototypes, often referred to as a 'Proto', are extremely rare Pop! Vinyls with very little to no paint detail on it. The final shape and features (like the eyes or hair) are visible, but may not have paint detail on them.
As the name suggests, prototypes are not always the final design. With collectors in mind, these prototypes are made available in a Pop! Vinyl box for those that wish to collect them and keep them mint.
Future releases are often showcased at trade shows and conventions. The American Toy Industry Association International Toy Fair held annually in New York every February is one of the major events on the calendar for Funko collectors. Future in Tiny Toon Adventures, The Brave Little Toaster, Death to Smoochy, The Lego Movie, Kirby, Pokemon, SpongeBob SquarePants and Sausage Party of 2018.
Retired Pop! Vinyls are those that are no longer being produced.
Retired items become more valuable once retired as it is harder to find them.
Exclusives and Prototypes are retired by default as they are only produced in a single limited number batch.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 BroadwayWorld.com - A Profitable Revolution in Toy Retail Is Now an Indiegogo Opportunity
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 DarkKnightNews.com - Funko To Release New Pop! Vinyl Batman Figures
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 InsideTheMagic.net - Best of Toy Fair 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Skylanders, My Little Pony, and much more from movie and TV hits
- ↑ BleedingCool.com - Comparing Company Strategies At The International Toy Fair – Funko, Diamond, Dark Horse, Titan, And More
- ↑ CardboardConnection.com - 2012-13 NBA Funko POP Vinyl Figures
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 [http://www.theblotsays.com/2012/05/sheldon-big-bang-theory-pop-television.html TheBlotSays.com - Sheldon The Big Bang Theory Pop! Television Vinyl Figure by Funko
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - Ghostbusters Pop! Vinyl Figures by Funko
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - SDCC 2011 Exclusive Metallic Buzz Lightyear 9” Pop! Disney Vinyl Figure
- ↑ FreddyInSpace.com - Funko's POP! Horror Movie Vinyl Figures : Coming January 2011!
- ↑ TheNerdFu.com - Supernatural Pop!'s - Funko Brings us the Winchester Boys
- ↑ VinylMationWorld.com - Preview Upcoming Disney Marvel Star Wars Pop Vinyls Funko
- ↑ DCCollectors.com - FUNKO Reveals New DC Comics POP! VINYL Figures
- ↑ ToyArk.com - Game of Thrones Pop Vinyl Figures From Funko
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - First Look: Game of Thrones Pop! Vinyl Figures by Funko
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 TheBlotSays.com - SDCC 2012 Exclusive Big Bang Theory Sheldon Pop! Vinyl Figures - Batman, Superman & Hawkman
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - SDCC 2011 Exclusive Martian Manhunter Metallic Variant DC Universe Pop! Vinyl Figure Toy Review
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - GID Green Lantern DC Universe Pop! Heroes Vinyl Figure Toy Review
- ↑ ToyArk.com - San Diego Comic-Con 2013 Exclusive Pop Vinyl Figures
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - Gemini Collectibles Exclusive Flocked Beast Pop! Marvel Vinyl Figure by Funko
- ↑ MarvelToyNews.com - Funko Glow in the Dark Captain America POP Vinyl Released!
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - SDCC 13 Exclusive Black & White Wolverine Marvel Pop! Vinyl Figure by Funko
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - SDCC 12 Exclusive Patina Batman The Dark Knight Rises Vinyl Figure by Funko
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - Fugitive Toys Exclusive Inverse Deadpool Pop! Marvel Vinyl Figure by Funko
- ↑ TheBlotSays.com - MegaCon Exclusive Blue & Yellow Deadpool Variant Pop! Marvel Vinyl Figure by Funko
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2 TheBlotSays.com - Crazy Color Edition Pop! Vinyl Figure Prototypes by Funko
- ↑ ToyArk.com - Toy Fair 2013 Funko Images – POP Vinyl and Mystery Minis
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 FunkoFunatic.com - Do regular POP! Vinyls ever become retired?
- ↑ FunkoFunatic.com - Retired Pop! List