Pop! are highly stylised bobble heads from Funko based on the Japanese style known as Chibi. Pop! Vinyl's cover a range of licensed brands and popular culture such as video games, television, movies and more. Pop! Vinyls are becoming increasingly popular with retailers, so much that Funko has increased its financial incentives to retailers twofold.
Funko's line of Pop! figures are based on the Japanese style known as Chibi, which means short and cute. The heads of the Pop! Vinyl figures are the most recognisable part as they are substantially larger than the bodies in which they sit. They also feature large solid black eyes widely spaced on the face. Typically the nose, mouth and eyebrows are notably missing from a standard Pop! Vinyl.
- Main article: Pop! Categories
- Main article: Pop! Minis
- Main article: Pop! Exclusives
Exclusive limited release Pop! Vinyls are made available at trade shows such as Comic Con and on web shops such as Gemini Collectibles. Exclusives are generally variants of existing Pop! figures that offer an alternative look. Exclusives also feature a sticker on the outer plastic of the original box. Exclusives are commonly made in a limited release of 480 units; however, this number varies from figure to figure. The sticker may also provide details such as the limited number of units made as well as where the item was exclusive to and the type of exclusivity (e.g. glow in the dark).
Common Exclusive VariantsEdit
- Metallic - a shiny coating of paint on part of or all of the item.
- Flocked - a furry or fuzzy 'skin' on part of or all of the item.
- Glow in the Dark (GITD or GID) - when exposed to a light source, the item will glow in the dark for a short time. This may apply to part of or all of the item.
- Black and White (B&W) - the colour scheme is grayscale instead of colorful. This is usually all of the item; however; some have parts of color.
- Patina - a bronze, oxidised surface that covers all of the item.
- Outfits - different shirts or designs.
- Main article: Pop! Prototypes
Pop! Vinyl prototypes, often referred to as a 'Proto', are extremely rare Pop! Vinyls with very little to no paint detail on it. The final shape and features (like the eyes or hair) are visible, but may not have paint detail on them.
As the name suggests, prototypes are not always the final design. With collectors in mind, these prototypes are made available in a Pop! Vinyl box for those that wish to collect them and keep them mint.
Future releases are often showcased at trade shows and conventions. The American Toy Industry Association International Toy Fair held annually in New York every February is one of the major events on the calendar for Funko collectors. Future in Tiny Toon Adventures, The Brave Little Toaster, Death to Smoochy, The Lego Movie, Kirby, Pokemon, Mario, Megamind, SpongeBob SquarePants and Sausage Party
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found